Thursday, August 04, 2005

Washington Post screws over blogs

Well, I have to say I'm not surprised, but this is what happened: I am an associate editor at DCist.com, which is, of course, part of the Gothamist LLC empire. I adore working for the site. I write mainly about music, but occasionally about hard news items or other things as well. You know, whatever comes across my path and the staff agrees is newsworthy. It's not my fulltime job - I currently work in a pubs department of an association - but I would be happy if it were. DCist.com rocks. We are the second biggest site in the -ist network, certainly something to be proud of.

Yet, every opportunity they get, major local media ignores us. We are constantly linking to stories from the Washington Post and the City Paper, but this is how we get repaid.

So, DCist (specifically, me, ubergoddess that I am; I read it in an internet forum and went on to confirm it) broke a story (I think, anyways; we were at least the first media outlet to report it) about Congressman Bonilla wanting to rename 16th St. NW "Ronald Reagan Boulevard." 12:58 p.m.

Come 7:09 p.m., the Washington Post has the story. On their front page. The part where they cite us?:
Rep. Henry Bonilla, co-chairman of the 2000 and 2004 Republican National Conventions, quietly introduced a 103-word resolution before Congress adjourned for summer recess July 28. As word spread in the nation's capital, neighborhood Web logs in the overwhelmingly Democratic city crackled with disbelief...

I know for a fact that DCist was the first media outlet to report this story, yet the Post can't even give us our due. Is it because they actually see us (a blog, with 10,000 readers a day) as competition, or just because they suck? I'm thinking a combination of the two.

Spencer S. Hsu - poorly done.

UPDATE: PaidContent finds themselves on the same side of a similar incident (of course, they are a wee bit bigger than DCist). Just sucks no matter what.

, , , ,